Monday, August 10, 2009

Culling: Loose Terms Defined

There seems to be some grey area on the term culling. Although it's one of the most difficult decisions a fancier will have to make to insure the succession of their own progress within a line.

Wikipedia defines "culling" as:
"The process of removing animals (rabbits) from a group (herd) based on specific criteria (The Standard of Perfection). This is done in order to either reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group. The process of culling usually implies the killing of animals with undesirable characteristics; but can also imply "non-lethal" removal from the herd."

I prefer to take the responsibility for our animals and permanently remove culls from our herd. I generally DONT pet out our culls, only on rare occasions.

Are you asking WHY?? What harm could selling a pet rabbit bring? Well, I am finding out more and more this inferior stock ends up on the show table or even worse: allowed to reproduce. Here at Wroyal Reign Lops we remove rabbits who may have genetic defects, or are poor examples of the breed. I especially have issue with not culling properly within the English Lop breed. They are a challenging breed not naturally known as a strong genetic breed. Issues such as weak ankles, pigeon breast, fine bone, split genetaila, malocclusion and so on are all contributing factors when determining cull quality English Lops. It all comes down to what your ideal example of the breed looks like in your mind.

I had a fellow breeder recently request a pedigree on a rabbit who was given to a "good" home as a companion. This meant in my opinion the rabbit did not meet my standards to continue a line or be of the quality (again, according to my standards) to compete. I was fed the line "well, from a fellow breeder, I was hoping you could just give me the pedigree...". I personally love how this situation was turned around to make me out as the **BAD VILLAN** for not obliging and offering her a pedigree out of the kindness of my heart. I especially enjoyed the comment "...well, if that is according to your ethics..." Lol. That's a hoot! Lol.

In closing I believe the most respectful and responsible thing a person new to the fancy can do is to listen to the breeder's opinion. Pet quality is usually labeled as such for a good reason.

SIDE NOTE:
I was talking about this with a girl friend and she gave me a wonderful idea. Tattoo "SOLD AS A CULL" or "SOLD AS A PET" in the ear instead of "CULL" or "PET" so these animals will be clearly obvious if they do end up on the tables. Wouldn't it be great if the ARBA took a stance on CULL rabbits and disallow CULL or PET as an ear tattoo and automatic DQ?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers

Labels

breeding (2) linebreeding (2) outcrossing (2) Dog (1) Guardian (1) Pet (1) inbreeding (1) traits (1)